Search Results of Historic Air Stations

The table below lists all of the now Historic Coast Guard Air Stations and Detachments:

Rec No. Name Location Notes
1 Air Station Annette Is. Annette Is. (Metlakatla) AK 1944 - With the advent of WWII an airport with runways was needed in Southeast Alaska. Annette Island a flat boggy island of about ten square miles located twenty-five miles south of Ketchikan was chosen as the site for a ten-thousand-foot runway. Construction started in the fall of 1940.. The air base at Annette provided a location for defensive air support for the embarkation port of Prince Rupert. Canada offered to supply a squadron of fighters to Annette and by May 5 1942 No. 115 (Fighter) Squadron was in place becoming the first Canadian force ever based in U.S. territory to directly assist in American defense. A U.S. Coast Guard Aviation Detachment consisting of one amphibian aircraft was established at Annette Island on 14 March 1944. Post war years saw a rapid increase in search and rescue duties and the detachment became an air station. Helicopters were added in 1965. In 1972 Annette transitioned to an all helicopter unit. In 1977 the Coast Guard Air Station was relocated from Annette Island to Sitka Alaska which was more centrally located in the Southeastern Alaska operating area.
2 Air Station Biloxi MS Biloxi MS 1934 -- During 1933 the Coast Guard was looking for a location to establish an Air station that would provide effective life saving and property protection in the upper Gulf of Mexico region. A site on the eastern edge of Biloxi Mississippi with direct access to Biloxi Bay was ideal for a seaplane operating area. On 5 December 1934 the air station was placed in commission. The United States entered WWII in December of 1941 and in addition to SAR responsibilities Anti-Submarine patrols were begun. The Biloxi air station had been designed for pre-war aircraft capable of operations in relatively shallow water. The post-war aircraft were proving to be larger and heavier than could be safely operated on Biloxi Bay. In March 1947 the air station was placed in care-taker status. Most of the stations assets were transferred to other Coast Guard Air Stations. One of the stations PBY-5A aircraft and crew were established as a detachment at Keesler AFB in Biloxi. The aircraft would be increased to two and in the early 1950s the PBYs were replaced by two UF-1G Grumman Albatrosses. The Biloxi detachment was closed in 1996 and assets were transferred to the new Mobile Air Station/Training Command.
3 Air Station Brooklyn NAS Floyd Bennet Field NY 1938-- New York City Mayor LaGuardia announced on January 22 1936 that the City of New York had executed a 50 year lease to the U. S. Coast Guard for facilities at Floyd Bennett field. The Coast Guard was to occupy 9.7 acres (650 ft. X 650 ft.) on Jamaica Bay and construct a $250000 base. On April 23 1938 The Coast Guard Air Station Floyd Bennett Field was established. From 1938 until the outbreak of war in December of 1941 the primary mission assignment for the Air Station was the preservation of life and property at sea and the adjacent areas. WWII brought about Anti-Submarine patrols and in late 1943 the mission of Coast Guard Air Station Brooklyn was expanded. The Navy established an air station at Floyd Bennett. By a directive from the Chief of Naval Operations dated November 19 1943 the station was designated a helicopter training base. Helicopter training was discontinued in 1945 and the base duties again became search and rescue. In 1971 the Naval Air Station New York was decommissioned and the control tower and runways were closed. The Coast Guard elected to make the Brooklyn air station an all helicopter unit. Coast Guard Air Station Brooklyn was decommissioned in May 1998 and its resources transferred to the newly established Group-Air Station Atlantic City which opened June 8 1998.
4 Air Station Cape May Cape May NJ Established 1926 --The Highest consumption of alcohol during prohibition took place in the large metropolitan cities. With its many inlets points and coves the coast of New Jersey stood out as a haven for rum-runners. The value of aircraft in locating smugglers and directing an intercept by a surface vessel to picket and prevent the off-loading of contraband had been demonstrated. In October of 1926 and an aviation unit was established at Cape May . With the repeal of Prohibition the station duties evolved into search and rescue. The first Cape May air station due to lack of funds was decommissioned in 1938. 1969- The Air station was re-established 17 July 1969 as an all helicopter air station with search and rescue responsibilities. It was the first Air station to utilize the ?Group? concept wherein all operational units in a given area including the Air Station would be under a single command. The Air Station was part of Coast Guard Group Cape May. The Group Commander was the Air Station Commanding Officer. In 1998 as a result of a Coast Guard aviation streamlining initiative to realign unit location with the capabilities of today's modern aircraft Air Station Brooklyn New York and Group-Air Station Cape May New Jersey resources were combined at a newly constructed $13 million facility at Atlantic City International Airport.
5 Air Station Charleston SC Charleston SC 1937 -- The Coast Guard established an air patrol detachment consisting of one aircraft on the south end of the Charleston Navy Yard in 1937. President Franklin D. Roosevelt issued the first Proclamation of Neutrality on September 5 1939 declaring in part that any use of United States territorial waters for hostile operations would be regarded as unfriendly offensive and in violation of United States neutrality. The Navy initiated action immediately. The Navy Neutrality Patrol effort was supplemented by Coast Guard surface and aircraft coverage of coastal areas. The Coast Guard Air Patrol facility at Charleston had been upgraded to Air Station status in 1939. In January of 1941 Air Station Charleston became a training facility and former air station duties were assumed by Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City which had been commissioned in August of 1940. Coast Guard Air Station Charleston was decommissioned during the summer of 1941
6 Air Station Chicago IL NAS Glenview IL 1969 --- Coast Guard Air Station Chicago located on the Glenview Naval Air station was the primary Search and Rescue unit for southern Lake Michigan responsible for the waters from Milwaukee Wisconsin to Muskegon Michigan and south to Gary Indiana. SAR requirements during the winter months proved to be minimal. On April 1 1995 Air Station Chicago transitioned to Air Facility Glenview and fell under operational control of Air Station Traverse City. It was manned by Traverse City with one helicopter and two crews from April through mid November.
7 Air Station St. Augustine FL St. Augustine FL 1990 --- The Coast Guard Air Station St. Augustine was formally commissioned on 26 January 1990. The Coast Guard had been given marine interdiction responsibility for the transit zone which extended from the U.S. shore line to the 12 mile limit of the source country. When the Coast Guard became actively involved in air interdiction a good deal of emphasis was placed on the transit and departure zones. With the change in mode of operation the E-2Cs were deployed to six foreign Forward Operating Bases in the Caribbean stretching from Belize to Carioca to Grenada. In addition many CONUS bases were routinely used as staging areas. Deployment locations were based on known methods of operation and intelligence information that was getting better and better. This type operation proved to be most effective. During the last year of operation E-2C aircraft were deployed 293 days out of the year. In the early 1990s Coast Guard air-interdiction was very much reduced by the incoming Commandant and Coast Guard Air Station St. Augustine CGAW-1 was disestablished 22 November 1991.
8 Air Station St. Petersburg FL Albert Whitted Field St. Petersburg FL 1935 --To provide more effective life saving service along Florida?s western coast a decision was made to build a centrally located air station and radio station. Albert Whitted Airport jutting out into Tampa Bay from the southeast section of St. Petersburg was selected. The Coast Guard St. Petersburg Air Station was built during 1934-1935. During the first years of World War II the aircraft at the Saint Petersburg air station were engaged in Anti-Submarine patrols. In November 1944 an Air Sea Rescue organization was formed nationwide. The Coast Guard was placed in charge as the control agency with authorization to direct all Armed Forces resources to respond in life saving operations. St. Petersburg played an important part. During the 1970s a much larger and more modern facility that could accommodate C-130 Hercules aircraft was needed. Assets were moved to Clearwater Airport on the north end of St. Petersburg in October of 1976 and Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater was established. Air Station St. Petersburg was decommissioned 29 October 1976 after more than 41 years of saving lives.
9 Air Station Salem MA Winter Is. Salem MA 1935 -- In February of 1935 the Coast Guard established a seaplane facility at Salem Massachusetts because there was no longer space to expand the Ten Pound Island Gloucester air station. Air Station Salem was located at Winter Island an extension of Salem Neck which juts out into Salem Harbor. Search and rescue hunting for derelicts and medical evacuations were the primary areas of responsibility. In 1941 air crews from Salem began to fly neutrality patrols along the coast. During World War II the air station roster increased to 37 aircraft. Anti-submarine patrols were flown on a regular basis. In October of 1944 Air Station Salem was officially designated as the first Air Sea Rescue station on the eastern seaboard. Salem Air Station closed in 1970. The Salem and Quonset Point operations moved to Otis Air Force base out on ? The Cape? and Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod was established.
10 Air Station Sangley Pt. R.P. NAS Sangley Point Phillipines 1946--- In April of 1945 an advance base maintenance organization and construction of a runway was begun at Naval Station Sangley Point to support the continuing war effort. A small Coast Guard air detachment was established at Sangley Point and over time it increased in size and responsibilities and the Commanding Officer of the Air Detachment would serve a dual function as Commander Philippine Section responsible for all Coast Guard Forces in the Philippines. The purpose of the air detachment was to logistically support LORAN stations at Naulo Point Talampulan Tarumpitao Batan and Catanduanes. With the advent of the Korean War the SAR responsibilities of the Coast Guard were expanded and the Sangley Point operation was augmented with additional aircraft. Logistics remained a primary mission and SAR responsibilities increased substantially. The entire Coast Guard Philippine Section operation was turned over to the Philippine Government in 1971 and the Coast Guard air station was closed.
11 Air Detachment Argentia NFLD NAS Argentia NFLD 1946 -- The Coast Guard was returned to the Treasury department on 1 January 1946 and VPB-6(CG) was disestablished as a Navy Squadron at that time. Elements of the squadron continued as an air detachment which operated as part of the North Atlantic Ocean Patrol (NORLANTPAC). providing search and rescue services and supply of LORAN stations. NORLANTPAC ceased being a separate operation under the Area Command but the duties of the air detachment continued. NORLANTPAC ceased being a separate operation under the Area Command but the duties of the air detachment continued. NORLANTPAC ceased being a separate operation under the Area Command but the duties of the air detachment continued. The International Ice Patrol became the primary mission and a limited search and rescue function was maintained. The Argentia air detachment was disestablished in 1966. HC-130 aircraft continued to be deployed to NAS Argentia for the International Ice Patrol until its closure in 1971 at which time the Ice Patrol continued to operate out of several Canadian facilities. At present the duties are conducted out of the Elizabeth City Air Station.
12 Air Detachment Bermuda NAS Bermuda, BWI 1952 -- As a result of the Korean War, it was deemed necessary to have advanced ASW patrols out of Bermuda to counter the increased Soviet submarine activity. In the summer of 1952 the Navy requested that the Coast Guard establish a SAR unit at Bermuda in support of naval operations. Intercepts of aircraft with one or more engines out were frequently made. The main purpose of the intercept was to establish the position of the aircraft being assisted, and if the problem encountered became more severe and a ditching became necessary, the intercept aircraft would be available to drop additional survival equipment to survivors and direct surface vessels to assist. In the case of the Bermuda PBMs; if the sea conditions permitted, the PBM could land and rescue the survivors when the situation dictated. Unlike the other Korean War SAR detachments the Bermuda operation continued as the Bermuda air detachment also provided SAR coverage for the National Maritime Search and Rescue Region responsibilities of the Fifth Coast Guard District within the ICAO international agreement framework. In 1964 SAR operations moved to Kindley AFB Bermuda. The SAR operation continued until the advent of jet aircraft and the development of INS navigation systems. The Bermuda air detachment was closed in 1966.
13 Air Detachment Buffalo NY Buffalo NY Robert Schiena former Coast Guard Historian did a story on the CG assuming flight responsibilities from the Customs Department and flying the Border Patrol and mentioned an Air Detachment at Buffalo. He provided no further information on it and we have not found any ? Whether it existed or not we do not know.
14 Air Detachment Cleveland OH Cleveland OH To our knowledge it never existed. It was at one time included in the potential sites for the expansion of CG helicopter air stations. A unit in Cleveland would have put it geographically at CCGD 9 Headquarters. Aviation Staff at Coast Guard Headquarters stated that Detroit was picked rather than Cleveland because of a potential greater SAR load in the Toledo Detroit St. Clair areas and the availability of Selfridge ANG base.
15 Air Patrol Detachment El Paso TX El Paso TX 1934 --- On March 9 1934 all air operations of the U.S. Customs were transferred to the Coast Guard. Air Detachments at Buffalo New York San Diego California and San Antonio Texas were established to support Custom anti-smuggling operations. At the end of a year San Antonio operations were transferred to Del Rio Texas. This placed the Detachment on the border within the area of patrol and made the operation much more effective. Coast Guard Headquarters much to the pleasure of the city of El Paso ordered the relocation of the Detachment to Biggs Field Fort Bliss Texas in December of 1936. Working in tandem with the Border Patrol Coast Guard aircraft patrolled the border looking for smugglers and illegal aliens crossing the border in remote areas. At the end of 1939 it was decided to close the El Paso Air Detachment. The President had invoked the Neutrality Law in September 1939 and the assets were needed elsewhere.
16 Air Detachment Guam M.I. NAS Agana Guam M.I. 1947 -- . In 1947 a Coast Guard air detachment was established at the Naval Air Station Agana Guam to provide aerial logistics support for LORAN stations in the southern Marianas and Western Caroline Islands. In 1953 the Western Pacific Section became the Marianas Section located at Cabras Island Guam. The LORAN stations supported by the air detachment were Saipan Ulithi and Anguar in the Palauan Islands. SAR activities were limited. They consisted primarily of medical evacuations both Coast Guard and Trust Territory. The loss of aircraft or ships at sea was infrequent. When they did occur the Coast Guard was called upon to assist. In 1964 a Loran C station was constructed on Yap Island which is an Island about 106 miles almost due west of Ulithi. An airport was built at the same time. A LORAN A station was co-established replacing Ulithi and continued to operate until the LORAN A chain was disestablished in 1978. In 1966 one of the Guam C-123s with crew was deployed to assist in the construction of LORAN stations in Thailand and Vietnam. This was a Top?Secret project requested by the US Air Force. The Coast Guard air detachment by then called an air station was disestablished in 1972.
17 Air Detachment Kaneohe HI MCAS Kaneohe Oahu HI 1945 --- The first permanent Coast Guard aviation unit in the Hawaiian archipelago became reality in 1945 when an Air Detachment to provide air-sea rescue services was established at the Naval Air Station Kaneohe. NAS Kaneohe located on the windward side of Oahu was a major advanced training base for Pacific operations during World War II. A Pacific Coast Guard Unit logistic support mission was soon added. In 1949 the Navy decommissioned the Kaneohe air station and the Coast Guard air detachment moved to NAS Barbers Point on the west coast of Oahu.
18 Air Detachment Naples Italy NAS Naples Italy 1958 -- In October of 1957 the USSR launched the first man made satellite. This expedited the requirement for a long range highly accurate radio-navigation system for use with the satellites and missiles the United States was developing. Coast Guard Air Detachment Naples was established in mid 1958 to support this effort. Two C-123B aircraft were obtained and used to provide logistic support for the construction and operation of Loran C Stations being built at Marble Arch Libya; Rhodes Greece; Simeri Crichi Italy; and Corlu Turkey. Even more significant the Fleet Ballistic Missile submarines were equipped with sophisticated Loran C receivers. The submarines had an inertial navigation system but it had to be regularly updated. They had a low level orbital satellite navigation system also. The problem was that this system required an antenna above water to receive it. Since both the submarine and the Soviets knew the satellite schedule the submarines position could be compromised. Loran C on the other hand could be received at 60 or more feet below the surface anywhere in the coverage area at any time the need arose. The submarines used Loran C regularly to update their Inertial Navigation System. It also served as a primary navigational backup. In 1972 the Air Station was closed and the Loran Stations received support from other military units and civilian sources. The Coast Guard withdrew its personnel from the Loran Stations in the 1993-1995 timeframe.
19 Air Detachment Quonset Point RI NAS Quonset Pt. RI Air Detachment Quonset Point was a subunit of Coast Guard Air Station Salem. Recognizing that weather conditions could render the Salem seadrome inoperable from time to time and that night operations in Salem Harbor had become hazardous a sub-unit was established at the Naval Air Station Quonset Point Rhode Island. With a complement of one Albatross amphibian four pilots and eight crewmen Quonset was responsible for supplementing Salem planes during rescue operations and for fixed-wing flying when Salem could not provide it. The Quonset crews stood a tough port-and-starboard duty schedule of three days on watch and three days off. Salem Air Station closed in 1970. The Salem and Quonset Point operations moved to Otis Air Force base out on ? The Cape? and Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod was established.
20 Air Facility Charleston SC Charleston SC Still in operation -- Air Facility Charleston became operational on October 1 1990 with daylight search and rescue response by crews deployed from Savannah. In 1993 with the completion of a multi-million dollar support facility aircrews at the facility began providing around the clock SAR response in the northern sector of the Air Station's area of responsibility. It is a sub-unit of Savannah
21 Air Facility Chicago IL NAS Glenview IL On April 1 1995 Air Station Chicago transitioned to Air Facility Glenview and fell under operational control of Air Station Traverse City. It was manned by Traverse City with one helicopter and two crews from April through mid November. With the impending closure of NAS Glenview the facility ceased operations on November 15 1996. On April 1 1997 Air Facility Muskegon was established and was manned with one HH-65A from Traverse City. In May of 2000 Air Facility Waukegan was established and Air Station Traverse City slowly transferred operations there. On September 30 2001 Air Station Traverse City completely transferred Air Facility Muskegon to Air Station Detroit and took control of Air Facility Waukegan. This is still the operational situation today with both Air Facilities operating from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
22 Air Facility Norfolk VA NAS Norfolk VA 1987 --- Contained in the Drug Abuse Act of 1986 was a provision for an air facility to support the Grumman E2C Hawkeye aircraft. The Coast Guard was to form an air interdiction unit operating Navy E2C aircraft. The Navy was to provide the aircraft and provide support facilities to operate the aircraft. Naval Air Station Norfolk was the designated naval support facility for E2C aircraft and became the initial site of CGAW1. The performance of Coast Guard crews were outstanding and the unit doubled in size. The increased operation was beyond the limited facilities provided the Coast Guard at NAS Norfolk. As a result the Air Facility was de-established and relocated to St. Augustine Florida in 1989. Coast Guard Air Station St. Augustine came into being.
23 Aviation Station Moorhead City NC NAS Moorhead City NC Established 1920 -- With WWI over and the Coast Guard again part of the Treasury Department the efforts of Captain Stanley Parker turned Coast Guard attention back to the utilization of aircraft in the saving of life and property along the coastal regions of the United States and at sea contiguous to them. The new Commandant William Edward Reynolds was favorably disposed toward the establishment of a Coast Guard air station to thoroughly evaluate the concept. Morehead City North Carolina was chosen as ?best suited? to prove the worth of Coast Guard aviation. It was closer to the Graveyard of the Atlantic at Cape Hatteras where there would be more opportunities to locate vessels in distress derelict menaces to navigation and vessels which had grounded. Parker informed the Navy that the Coast Guard had chosen Morehead City. The request for aircraft was also honored and six HS-2L Curtiss flying boats were provided.
24 Aviation Station Ten Pound Is. MA Glocester MA Established 1926 -- During the years of Prohibition LCDR Carl Von Paulsen an aviator was the commanding officer of Section Base #7 located at Gloucester Massachusetts. He approached LCDR Stephen S. Yeandle aide to Commandant Billard with the idea of utilizing aircraft to search and locate both the large ?mother? ships and small boats making a run for shore. The Commandant approved the idea but no funds were available initial operations took place with a borrowed aircraft and a tent set up at Ten pound Island in Gloucester Harbor. The operation was a success which led to the procurement of aircraft by the Coast Guard and a permanent hangar. Additional air stations were established for the same purpose. Activity and equipment outgrew the location and the air station was relocated to Salem Massachusetts.
25 SAR Detachment Adak NAS Adak Is. AK 1952 --- In 1952 the Navy requested that the Coast Guard provide aircraft search and rescue capability in support of the Korean War. A Coast Guard SAR air detachment at Adak Alaska has been mentioned in several history papers but no particulars have been located to date to substantiate this. Point. Several Ocean Station vessel records show three week standby duty at Adak but there is no mention of aircraft operations.
26 SAR Detachment Midway NAS Midway Is. HI 1952 --- In 1952 the Navy requested that the Coast Guard provide aircraft search and rescue capability in support of the Korean War effort. Two air rescue detachments were established; An Air Rescue detachment was established at the newly reopened Naval Air Station at Midway Island. The Midway air detachment had a P4Y-2G and a PBY. Aircraft and aviation personnel were permanently assigned as part of the SAR Group. Ocean Station Vessels would rotate through Midway for consecutive three week periods. The aircraft and cutters worked together as a unit. The detachment was discontinued after the war. The air detachment aircraft were primarily engaged in the intercept and escort of military and commercial aircraft that had experienced engine failures. The reason for intercept was that if conditions deteriorated the position of aircraft in distress would be known and the escorting aircraft could drop additional rafts and survival equipment to those in the water. In addition to SAR training exercises searches for missing or down aircraft were conducted jointly with the Coast Guard cutters when assigned to SAR support duties.
27 SAR Detachment Sangley Pt. R.P. NAS Sangley Pt. R.P. The SAR capability during the Korean War was an augmentation of the existing Air Detachment with PBM?s - a SAR detachment would nbe a misnomer. These were discontinued after the War. Swickley and Shrode told me that the AF at Clark had SAR responsibility after the War but for some reason provided SAR primarily for the Military. The Air Station UFs did fly most of the civilian SAR missions but the primary function.
28 SAR Detachment Wake Is. Wake Is. 1952 -- In 1952 the Navy requested that the Coast Guard provide aircraft search and rescue capability in support of the Korean War. An air rescue detachments were established at Wake Island. Wake?s Group Commander had an 83 footer permanently assigned. P4Y-2G aircraft and crews were supplied on a monthly basis from Barbers Point. The air detachment aircraft were primarily engaged in the intercept and escort of military and commercial aircraft that had experienced engine failures. The reason for intercept was that if conditions deteriorated the position of aircraft in distress would be known and the escorting aircraft could drop additional rafts and survival equipment to those in the water. In addition to SAR training exercises searches for missing or down aircraft were conducted jointly with the Coast Guard cutters when assigned to SAR support duties.
29 Air Station Miami Florida Dinner Key 1932 --The Coast Guard established an air station at Dinner Key in 1932. This was the first of a series of air stations strategically located in coastal areas to provide search and rescue services as the primary function. Like a number of the early air stations Dinner Key was a seadrome only operation. With the outbreak of World War II the Coast Guard aviators at Dinner Key flew anti-submarine warfare patrols and convoy support missions in addition to search and rescue operations. The Search and rescue operation continued to grow. With operations such as the Cuban Boat lift and other added Coast Guard responsibilities it became obvious that Dinner Key was not large enough to support the required aviation activities. In 1965 the air station at Dinner Key was closed and Coast Guard Air Station Miami operations were moved to the runway equipped airport at Opa-Locka Florida.

Vessels Button Actions Button Shore Stations Button Aids to Navigation Button Aircraft Button

HOMEPAGE